This Page was Last Updated On: 1 August, 2016
Sign InView Entries
      Mercy             Ambulance Service Began         in 1952
The Brady's always had equipped the Company with the most Advanced and high tech vehicles and medical equipment that was on the market, as shown here as they purchased this Custom Built Ambulance in 1974 becoming one of the 1st Modular Units in EMS.

(below the white background on the ambulance reads "Life Support Unit")

To the left in the Background you can see One of the Three Suburban high top Ambulances that had been added to Mercy's continued growing Fleet of EMS Units.
Mercy Purchased Four "Road Rescue," Type III Ambulances. This 1994 Rig was then Final Unit added by the Brady's before they Sold thier thriving Company, Mercy Merged in 1994 with Med Trans which later was bought by AMR in late 199o's.  The sale was a sad day for Kent County.  AMR has failed in maintaining the Reputation that Mercy Ambulance and  the Brady's had Built in thier 46 Years of Service to our Community.
Growth and Standards in EMS influenced the the style and safety features that have evolved in the way that Ambulances are manufactured TODAY
State of Michigan
God Bless The Brave Men and Women of EMS that are Deeply Dedicated to Preserving Life!
1968 Grand Rapids MI Police Emergency Unit
               Non-Transport ALS Units

What Agency Delivers EMS Care In Your City?
Private Ambulance Service
County Ambulance Authority
Fire Department Ambulance
Police Department EMS
I Don't Know Who Provides EMS

In the picture below Grand Rapids Police Department Paramedics along with Paramedics from Mercy Ambulance frantically tried to revive a police officer that was gunned down after responding to a robbery in progress.  GRPD Officer Herman Gloe was fatally shot, despite the Paramedics attempts, Officer Gloe was pronounced dead at the hospital.  Officer Gloe left  a wife and three children behind. The Suspect was fatally wounded in the gun battle.  
For more detailed        E-Unit Data
Scott Brady Former Paramedic and CEO of Mercy Ambulance Service
E-Unit Patch
Click for Grand Rapids, Michigan Forecast
In order to become certified and licensed as a Paramedic you must first complete Levels Emergency Medical technician-Specalist Basic Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) training. Medical Frist Response  (MFR) is required by Fire Fighters and other First Responder Personnel who staff First Response Units

Your first step is to enroll in EMT training. EMT requirements are as follows:

1. It must be a state approved EMT program.

2. You must have a high school diploma or GED and be 18 yrs of age.

3. You must be able to pass a physical examination and be signed off by a physician as having sufficient health to do the responsibilities of an EMT.

4. Be free of Felony, drug, or DUI convictions.

5. Pass the schools prescribed EMT course with usually an average of 80%

After meeting those requirements, an applicant will need to enroll in a Paramedic training course
given by many institutions (Community Colleges) for admission to the Paramedic program.
Emergency Medical Services is provided by Volunteer EMS,Private EMS Such as Life EMS, American Medical Response, Municipal EMS Agencies, as well as Some Police Departments and Many Fire EMS Divisions.  In addition in the State of Michigan ALL Firefighters are trained to the Level of Medical First Responders and provide 1st Response medical attention prior to ALS Arrival.
Kent County Michigan Police ALS E-Units ceased in January 2005 which gave way for the First Responder Program fully reverting to Area Fire Departments
                               GRPD E-UNIT Program 1968 TO 1994
A Officer Down from a fatal gunshot wound
   Photo by Chris Ritter Permission Granted for use
In 2000 EMT’s and paramedics held about 172,000 jobs. Most career EMT’s and paramedics work in metropolitan areas. There are many more volunteer EMT’s and paramedics, especially in smaller cities, towns, and rural areas.  They volunteer for fire departments, emergency medical services (EMS), or hospitals and may respond to only a few calls for service per month, or may answer the majority of calls, especially in smaller communities. EMT’s and paramedics work closely with firefighters, who often are certified as EMT’s as well and act as first responders. 

EMT’s and paramedics employed by fire departments work about 50 hours a week. Those employed by hospitals frequently work between 45 and 60 hours a week, and those in private ambulance services, between 45 and 50 hours. Some of these workers, especially those in police and fire departments, are on call for extended periods.  Because emergency services function 24 hours a day, EMT’s and paramedics have irregular working hours that add to job stress.

Full and part-time paid EMT’s and paramedics were employed in a number of industries. About 4 out of 10 worked in local and suburban transportation, as employees of private ambulance services. About 3 out of 10 worked in local government for fire departments, public ambulance services and EMS.  Another 2 out 10 were found in hospitals, where they worked full time within the medical facility or responded to calls in ambulances or helicopters to transport critically ill or injured patients.  The remainder worked in various industries providing emergency services.
In 2000 EMT’s and Paramedics held 172,000 MI Jobs

Using five as the best I would Rate this Site Page?

Candace Evelyn Bieri Otte Ingram
Aero Med’s Helicopter Crashes Atop Hospital Landing Pad in Grand Rapids Michigan
Grand Rapids Michigan May 29, 2008 – Spectrum Health’s Aero Med helicopter has crashed atop Spectrum Hospital in downtown Grand Rapids, at 11:02 a.m. two people suffered minor injuries, a senior Aero Med pilot and an FAA official.

Grand Rapids Police spokesman Lt. Ralph Mason stated that both the pilot and a FAA official, were involved in the crash. They managed to escape from the downed helicopter and seek shelter despite thier injuries.  The hospital’s floors 7 thru 9 were evacuated, and patients were evacuated from the Level one Emergency Center.

Witnesses said that the helicopter appeared to wobbling around after reportedly striking a roof Antenna before it landed on it’s side and burst into flames.  The crash and subsequent fire completely destroyed the entire EMS Helicopter leaving only burned remannents of the 14 year old Helicopter.  Aero Med has a brand new helicopter that has yet to be placed in service.  Aero Med began in the late 1980’s and has had only one prior event in 1989 the helicopter on scene of an eastern Kent County car crash broke free and rolled down a slight road embankmant.  No one was injured and the helicopter a Daulphin suffred minor damged.  FAA cited that cause as pilot error in failing to properly securing the helicopter.

This site is currently withholding the name of the Pilot and FAA Offical but will add after families are notified.  NTSB info on the Aero Med Fleet        NTSB

Dave’s EMS Headquarters will continue to update this news.

Dave’s EMS First reorted this incident within 4 minutes of the crash.
WoodTV8 News Crash Media
    Monday June 16, 2008 Aero Med has Resumed Flight Operations
       NEW AERO-MED HELICOPTER ARRIVES WITH NEW PAINT SCHEME                                                           (current)
JULY 28 2008
Aero Med Pilots Prepare for Newly Designed Helistop
Grand Rapids – November 15, 2008:  On the roof of Spectrum Health's Butterworth Hospital, scene of a fiery helicopter crash six months ago, workers were preparing to remove a radio tower Friday and putting final touches on a new landing pad.

Spectrum's Aero Med helicopters will begin practice landings on the pad most likely late next week, hospital spokesman Bruce Rossman said. Spectrum officials had hoped to begin the practice landings Monday, but the removal of the tower, a wind sock and other equipment on the top of an adjacent elevator shaft is taking longer than anticipated, he said.

After each of the eight pilots becomes familiar with the landing pad, Aero Med will use it to bring patients to Butterworth's emergency room, probably within a matter of days, Rossman said.

Aero Med halted the rooftop landings after one of its helicopters crashed there and burst into flames May 30 while lifting off. The pilot and a Federal Aviation Administration official escaped with minor injuries.

A preliminary report by a National Transportation Safety Board investigator said the crash occurred after the helicopter's tail rotor clipped the radio tower. That tower is being replaced by a new one atop the nearby Meijer Heart Center. The tower is used for pagers and other wireless communications in the hospital area.

                                                                                    Bigger, safer

The new pad -- technically called a helistop -- is larger than the old pad, allowing for two 60-by-60-foot landing zones. It is elevated several feet above the roof and extends beyond the edge of the building. That design cuts down on turbulence, since wind coming up the sides of the 10-story building is channeled under the pad, Rossman said.

It includes two metal stairways and emergency exits to a floor below and is surrounded by aluminum safety netting. A fire suppression system can be activated at those exits and from inside the elevator tower.

                                                                                             Time saved

The new helistop will cut 10 to 20 minutes off the time it takes to transport patients by ground ambulance from the current temporary landing zone on Plymouth Avenue and Michigan Street a few miles east of the hospital, Rossman said.
Source:  Spectrum Health
Copyright © 2001-2016 also known as   All Rights are Reserved.  All Information, graphics photos, and data contained in Dave’s EMS Headquarters may not be copied or reproduced without the written consent of the Webmaster
                                                                   HISTORY OF FLIGHT
On May 29, 2008 about 1101 eastern daylight time, a Sikorsky S-76A helicopter, N176SH, operated by Aero Med Spectrum Health, was destroyed by post impact fire after the tail rotor struck a tower while departing from the heliport (MI97) on top of the Spectrum Health Hospital, Grand Rapids, Michigan. The airline transport (ATP) certificated pilot and the ATP certificated Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) inspector received serious injuries. The 14 Code of Federal Regulations Part 91 flight departed the Gerald R. Ford International Airport (GRR), Grand Rapids, Michigan, at 1041. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed at the time of the accident and a company flight plan was filed.

The pilot reported the flight was a FAA Part 135 check, which included an annual Sikorsky proficiency check and a 6-month helicopter instrument proficiency check. The flight departed GRR and flew the FAA-approved Global Positioning System (GPS) "point in space" approach to the termination point just south of the hospital. The flight then proceeded visually to the Spectrum Health Helipad and landed on the north spot. When the helicopter landed, the nose was pointed about 340 degrees. Before takeoff, the pilots discussed the construction cranes that were operating on the north side of the hospital and their effect on the approach and departure routes to the pad. The pilot reported that he lifted the helicopter straight up during the takeoff. The torque was about 94 percent and "everything was nominal." The helicopter was about 40 feet in the air when the pilot heard a "pop", and the helicopter started to yaw to the right and vibrate. The pilot reported that he instinctively added left pedal to counteract the right yaw, and it seemed that he had some tail rotor authority. Then the rate of the right yaw increased rapidly. He attempted to land back on the helicopter pad by using the cyclic and lowering the collective, but the main rotor blades impacted the 32-foot high brick structure located east of the helicopter pad. The helicopter fell straight down impacting the hospital roof.

The FAA inspector, who was sitting in the left seat, reported that the helicopter lifted up normally in a vertical takeoff to about 40 - 50 feet. He stated that the helicopter went straight up. He reported that he was observing the construction cranes and looking out and down during the takeoff. About 40 feet, he heard a "pop" and saw the pilot moving the cyclic. The helicopter started turning right and descending, and then the main rotor blades hit the building. The helicopter went straight down and impacted hard onto the roof. He exited the helicopter by screwing the copilot's pedals all the way aft and "shimmying" out the copilot's chin bubble on his back. He helped the pilot get out of the helicopter through the chin bubble, and they got behind a heating duct on the roof until the fire fighters arrived. A fire had started during the initial impact, and soon after the pilots exited the helicopter, it was consumed by fire.

A hospital nurse reported that she heard the helicopter and went to the window to watch it takeoff. She saw the helicopter as it lifted off the pad and as it flew backwards toward the brick hospital structure and the radio towers on top of the structure. She saw the helicopter's tail rotor hit a tower.

A witness observed the accident from a 7th floor window across the street from the helicopter pad. He reported that the helicopter's tail rotor clipped the radio tower about mid-span and the tail rotor immediately disintegrated.

A hospital security video camera, which was located near the top of the brick structure and overlooked the helicopter landing pads, recorded a portion of the accident flight. It showed the helicopter as it came in for landing from the south and landed on about a 340-degree heading on the north landing spot. The helicopter stayed on the deck for about 3 minutes before it departed. The video showed the helicopter as it lifted off the north landing spot and as it flew backwards toward the brick structure while the nose of the helicopter remained pointing to the northwest. It showed the helicopter as it went out of view of the video recorder as it continued to climb. Since it was a sunny day, the shadow of the helicopter and the towers on top of the brick structure were visible on the helicopter pad below. The shadow of the helicopter's tail rotor appeared to strike an object on one of the towers. The tail rotor immediately shattered and the helicopter went into a right yaw. The helicopter came back into the view of the video recorder as the main rotor blades impacted the brick structure. The video recording stopped and did not record the helicopter hitting the hospital roof.

A camera that was mounted on one of the towers was removed for inspection. The camera body and its support frame exhibited impact marks. Carbon fibers were found lodged in a crevice of the camera body. The support structure that supported the camera exhibited impact marks.
                                                     PERSONNEL INFORMATION
The pilot was a 61-year-old airline transport pilot with single-engine and multi-engine airplane land and helicopter ratings. He held instrument ratings in airplanes and helicopters. He held a second-class medical certificate issued on March 18, 2008. He had about 7,260 total flight hours, which included about 6,760 hours flown in helicopters. He flew about 25.8 hours in the make and model in the last 90 days. His most recent training was at Flight Safety International on May 4, 2008. His most recent Part 135 airman competency/proficiency check was successfully accomplished on November 1, 2007.

The FAA inspector was a 57-year-old airline transport pilot with single-engine and multi-engine airplane land and helicopter ratings. He held instrument ratings in airplanes and helicopters. He held a second-class medical certificate issued on January 24, 2008. He had about 7,000 total flight hours, which included about 1,200 hours in helicopters. His annual helicopter check, required for participants in the FAA's flight program, was successfully accomplished on July 7, 2007.
                                                            AIRCRAFT INFORMATION
The helicopter was a Sikorsky S-76A, serial number 760260, manufactured in 1984. Two Allison 650 shaft horsepower 250-C30S engines powered the helicopter. The helicopter was purchased by Aero Med and configured for emergency medical services (EMS) in 1997. The cockpit was equipped with dual electronic flight information systems (EFIS) and dual digital automatic flight control system (DDAFCS) instruments. It was equipped with instrument flight rules (IFR) capable instrumentation and was certified for IFR flight. The cabin was fitted with a custom EMS interior with two aft facing and two forward facing seats, with a center-mounted stretcher.

Aero Med maintained the aircraft in accordance with an FAA approved aircraft inspection program (AAIP). The computer based program tracked all flight and maintenance actions, and was backed up by corresponding paper logs. An FAA inspection of the maintenance records indicated that the logbooks were current and in order, and that the helicopter was in an airworthy condition for the flight.

According to the aircraft flight logbook, the helicopter had logged 5,195.4 hours and 19,153 cycles of total time prior to the accident flight. The operator reported the mission takeoff fuel load was 1,200 pounds. The gross weight and center of gravity (CG) at takeoff were reported to be 9,762 pounds at 200.3 inches, which were within the CG limits.
                                                           METEOROLOGICAL CONDITIONS
At 1053, the surface weather observation at GRR, located about 8 nautical miles south of the accident site, was: Winds calm, visibility 10 miles, ceiling broken at 22,000 feet, temperature 18 degrees Celsius (C), dew point -7 degrees C, altimeter 30.25 inches of Mercury.
                                                                 HELIPORT INFORMATION
The accident site was the Spectrum Health Hospital Heliport, which is situated on top of the 10-story hospital building. It consists of two landing pads, oriented north and south, at an elevation of 880 feet about mean sea level. There is an elevator penthouse approximately 32 feet high located directly to the east of the helipads. On top of the penthouse is a windsock on a 14-foot pole, and a large triangular lattice truss-construction antenna, extending about another 40 feet high, as well as a small Doppler radome and various other small antennae. A TV camera was attached about mid-point on the 40-foot antenna.

Numerous large construction cranes were located within the immediate vicinity (within about several hundred feet) of the helipad. The three closest cranes were located due west, northwest, and north of the helipad. They extended less than about 50 feet above the helipad.
                                                                      FLIGHT RECORDERS
The helicopter was not equipped with a cockpit voice recorder (CVR) or flight data recorder (FDR). The FAA did not require the helicopter to be equipped with either a CVR or FDR.
                                                     WRECKAGE AND IMPACT INFORMATION
The airframe was largely consumed by fire. The only structure remaining was remnants of the left side cockpit and cabin doors, and a portion of the lower tail cone and vertical pylon. All three landing gear were in the down position. The transmission, engines, tail rotor drive shafts, intermediate gear box, the input and center sections of the tail rotor gearbox remained in their relative positions. The outer housing of the tail rotor gearbox, with the tail rotor hub still attached, was found on the helipad about 12 feet from the vertical pylon. All four main rotor blade spindles remained with the main rotor head. All four main rotor blades were broken into several segments as a result of impact with the penthouse structure. Pieces of the main rotor blades were found in surrounding areas north and northwest of the impact site. Several fragments of the outboard tail rotor blades were found scattered around the accident site, however, with the internal sections missing or burned, they could not be matched to their respective tail rotor blades.

The post crash fire destroyed the majority of the flight control system. All three primary servos remained attached to the main gearbox; however, their aluminum parts were consumed by fire preventing any continuity checks. The upper deck mechanical mixing unit, flight control tubes, and "broom closet" were all destroyed by fire. The stainless steel tail rotor control cables were intact aft of a break at about Station 300. The break was consistent with an overload condition associated with ground impact forces.

The on-site inspection of the engines revealed that there was no leading edge damage to the first stage compressor impellers. There was no visible impact damage to the engine casings. Both engine turbine modules appeared undamaged when viewed externally, and the 4th stage turbine wheels appeared intact when viewed from the exhaust collectors. The post crash fire damaged both engine fuel control units.
                                                                  TESTS AND RESEARCH
An accident investigation officer from the Grand Rapids Police Department provided the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) a report based on the laser measurements taken at the accident site, and his analysis of the security video taken of the accident flight. Based on his analysis, the helicopter traveled a straight-line distance of about 61 feet at an angle of about 41 degrees relative to the helicopter pad as the helicopter traveled backwards to where the tail rotor blades impacted the camera mounted on the tower. The time from takeoff to impact with the camera was about 11.37 seconds.

According to the Astronomical Applications Department of the U.S. Naval Observatory, at the time of the accident, the sun's azimuth angle was about 109.7 degrees, and the sun's elevation angle was about 50.6 degrees above the horizon. The security video showed the helicopter as it lifted off the pad and yawed to the left on a heading of about 315 degrees while it gained altitude. The shadow of the helicopter on the pad remained nearly stationary, which indicated that the helicopter was climbing rearwards nearly parallel to the sun incidence line of about 51 degrees relative to the helicopter pad.
                                                              ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
In September 2008, Aero Med implemented an enhanced safety management system (SMS) program as part of the company's integrated approach to safety. The helicopter pad, MI97, at Spectrum Health Hospital was closed until both helipads were enlarged, and enhanced fire suppression systems were installed for each pad to compliment the original fire suppression system. The 40-foot antenna and Doppler antenna were relocated, and the other antennas and windsock were moved to the east side of the penthouse.
        AMR of West Michigan is utilizing two New Ambulances as shown below:
   Built on Dodge Chasis.
Manufactured by AEV AMR's new Concept Rig.    Photo Source:  AMR News Release
                                                  MICHIGANS EMS SYSTEM, GUIDELINES, LAWS, INFORMATION, LEGISLATIVE BILL & MORE
New AeroMed Helicopter Damaged after Landing at Two Car Pin-In
Grandville MI-Original post 05-10-2009 Updated 01-26-2010 Aero Med’s helicopter sent to the scene of a wrong-way Sunday morning crash was damaged this morning, a Grandville firefighter at the scene stated that an AMR Ambulance had backed up towards the helicopter, strkining one of the main rotor blades.

Two people were injured, at least one of them seriously, the accident was reported shortly after 5:30 a.m. Sunday May 10, 2009, Alcohol is believed to be a factor in the crash, according to a Grandville Police Department Sergeant. Both drivers had to be extricated from their vehicles by both the Grandville Fire & Georgetown Fire departments.

While Aero Med Flight crew assisted at the scene, a vehicle backed up towards the helicopter, and damaged one of the four main rotor blades.  It was decided to have the patients transported by Ground EMS Units
with the Flights Doctor and Flight Nurse accompanying the patients in the ambulances.

The area of the head on accident is under construction, with the regular eastbound lanes closed and one eastbound lane temporarily open on the westbound lanes.  Grandville Police said they received reports of an eastbound vehicle driving the wrong way on westbound I-196 near the Ottawa County Line in the city of Grandville.  Within seconds, dispatch advised a Dodge Ram pick up and a gray Oldsmobile had crashed head-on.

Police stated that the driver of a pick-up a white male in his 30s and the driver of the Oldsmobile 88 a white female in her 20s were both pinned in their respective vehicles, and AeroMed was requested.  A mechanic driving a white pick-up truck with the Aero Med logo with a Mechanic arrived on scene shortly after the incident, repairs were completed some three hours after.  The FAA is currently investigating the incident. 
Click Pictures to
Click Pictures to
Temp Helo Pad Activated on August 7, 2008
Click Pictures to
This was the First GRPD E-Unit
   Photo by Chris Ritter Permission Granted for use
         During this period Mercy also utilized several "Sub Stations" that were located through out Kent and Ottawa Counties.
Mercy built this High Tech Headquarters which was dedicated and Opened in 1990.
Today the building is used by AMR after they Purchased  Mercy Ambulance Service's entire Operations in Michigan, Indiana, Las Vegas, and Virginia AMR IS NO MERCY
1950's Mercy's First Fleet
Mercy shown taking receipt of two new "Custom Built Cadillacs," in 1970-(Mr. Ron Gritter then General Manager for Mercy durning the early 1970's) stands between the two of its newest units.
Mercy Paramedics and  G.R. City Police E-Unit Officers work a Cardiac Arrest on a city bus.
Me Working on a Pt.
Click Pictures to
Life EMS provides Advanced Life Support Ambulance Service in Kent County, Ottawa County, Kalamazoo & Portage, Ionia County, Newaygo County, Lake County, Mason County and Allegan County as well as Central and West Michigan.
Grand Rapids Michigan Based Life EMS Ambulance Dedicated it's Kalamazoo Michigan Operation's $2 million expansion project
Kalamazoo Michigan 05-20-2010 Life EMS Ambulance service say that after 20 years here, the company remains dedicated to the Kalamazoo community.  Approximately $2 million dollars invested by the Grand Rapids Michigan based business was invested over the last year to expand and completely renovate its primary base located on Kalamazoo’s North Side is a testament to that. 

Owner/President Mark Meijer, of Life EMS Ambulance, spoke to about 40 services organization representatives, co-workers and local dignitaries during a Thursday morning dedication of the service’s new facilities at 517 E. North St. location.“We are glad to be here,” Meijer who owns and is the president of Life EMS, stated as he spoke with about 40 services organization representatives, co-workers and local dignitaries during a dedication of the facilities Thursday morning at 517 E. North St.

“We’re primarily thankful every day for the trust that Kalamazoo and Portage puts in us and our medics in providing ths critical services,” Meijer said.  Life EMS has a service contract with a consortium of area governments including the city of Kalamazoo, Oshtemo Township, Parchment and Cooper Township.  Its workers operated for most of the past year out of the Kalamazoo Department of Public Safety’s former station at North Rose Street while its offices on North Street were being expanded from about 6,500 square feet to 18,170 square feet.

The expansion includes a new garage for its vehicles, new vehicle service and maintenance bays and a new, gated parking area for wheel-chair transport vehicles at the rear of the facilities.  The LEED-certified facilities were built by the Kalamazoo-based CMS Group.

Life EMS, which started with two ambulances and about eight workers in the Kalamazoo area, now employs about 80 workers in Kalamazoo and utilize approximately 14 Paramedic Units in addition to 10 wheelchair transport vans. The Kalamazoo operation is part of Life EMS Organization that currently has a total of 350 Associates who operate in eight West Michigan Counties.

Meijer thanked the many Paramedics and Emergency Medical Technicians who work at the Kalamazoo Life EMS, locations, as well as the city of Kalamazoo, the Northside community, the CMS Group and others for helping the Ambulance Service Provider the ability to grow and improve its service.

Kalamazoo Mayor Bobby Hopewell, had been a manager with Life EMS in the early 1990s, recalled that the Kalamazoo operation began with a small and very rundown location and has since grown over the years and is responsible for the response, care and transport of many individuals each day.
Mark Meijer Owner/President Life EMS
   Life EMS Newly Updated and Expanded Facility
Click Pictures to enlarge.  Grand Rapids Fire Department Engine on scene as First Responders of a woman who had fallen, moments later Grand Rapids Based Life-EMS arrived to take over treatment and transport.
<a href="">Quicktime Required</a>
Quicktime Required
Click to Enlarge each Picture
Double Click to play Video
A Kent County E-Unit M.D. Assists Mercy Paramedic in 1973 Stabbing
1970's GRPD E-Unit & Mercy Paramedics treat Heart Victim
Daves EMS Headquarters

Navigation Menu provided
by Dave's EMS Headquarters

Mercy Ambulance Paramedic Dan F. (left) now with the Ottawa County Sheriffs Department along with Partner Paramedic Steve McBride (right) fill out reports and billing information at old Med-Com Life EMS Paramedic also filling out Reports.
Left:  Mercy Unit #171 entering the driveway to  Butterworth Hospital in May 1989.  Arriving at the Trauma Center with a Priority-one patient.
A 1974 Mercy Ambulance Cadillac  (Click to Enlarge)
New 2011 AMR Gas Engine AmbulanceNew AMR Ford Gas Engine RigWest MI AMR Retired DieselWest MI AMR Partial FleetRetired DieselsAMR Concept-2 Safety Unit
Late 60's airway Box
Mercy Ambulance loaned there golf cart ambulance to Aeromed shortly the Air medical Program Started to assist getting patient across the street to the Trauma Center
In Memory of Mr. Ronald Brady Founder of MERCY Ambulance Service who has passed away.
Mercy Operated out of a Converted Gas Station in the late 60's which also housed it's Administrative Offices and Dispatch Center.
Ron Brady, The man who started and built Mercy Ambulance is shown here in this Picture.  He is the 2nd man to the left short and slightly stocky.
As Mercy's business grew, so did Mercy's Fleet.  Since Mercy's Conception Ron Brady always Purchased the most Advanced and Sophisticated Ambulances Built.
A 1991 Mercy Ambulance State of the Art Vehicle, built by McCoy Miller
A Early Seventies Mercy ALS Unit shown here on the Scene of a Fatal car vs Train Accident
   1979 BUDS AMB UNIT 128
Mercy was a very well known and a popular Private Ambulance Provider, in the 60's & 70's Mercy's rival was "Buds Ambulance Service," which competed heavily with Mercy.  Buds went out of business twice once in the late 70's and finally closed it's doors for good in 1984.  In 1981 Life EMS opened.  Mercycontinued to grow and diversify thru 1994, when AMR bought the Company.
A Kent County E-Unit Deputy with a drug box
As Mercy continued to grow, so did the Brady Families Participation.  Young Scott Brady, Ron's son was a Paramedic in the early days of EMS.  Scott  Brady eventually became the President and CEO of Mercy Ambulance which continued to grow and became a Nationally Known Private EMS Service.
Aero Med Pilot Ray Sampson a Pilot and a Hero
Aero Med Assending 2010
  Aero Med In-Flight
  Aero Med In-Flight
  Muskegon Based Pro-Med EMS along with Fire First Responders attend to a Patient who suffered a Medical Emergency on the beach
West MI Based AMR has added New Fuel Effeciant Ambulances to it's Fleet
Click Pictures to
West Michigan AMR Retires Ambulances as Fleet Upgraded
Kent County Police Fire and EMS Recieve Homeland Security Grant
03-2012 The U.S. Department of Homeland Security has awarded area authorities a $1.75 million grant which will enable inter-departmental communications between Police, Fire and EMS agencies.  The Grant will provide Emergency Services  with new equipment, software, and a universal channel that will link personnel on a single channel. 

The Grand Rapids Fire Department, applied for grant through the Assistance to Firefighters program, with the purpose of the two primary dispatch centers located at the Kent County Sheriffs Department and the Grand Rapids Police Department dispatch centers that together provide dispatch services to Police and Fire Agencies throughout Kent County.  Both departments also handle 911 EMS call's.

The Grant was established following September 11, 2001, after communications where ill prepared for the events of the tragic day that cost the lives of Police, Fire, and EMS personnel at the World Trade Center.  Here in Kent County, such enhanced communications could have benefited Police, Fire and EMS over the course of the 2008, AeroMed Crash on the roof of Spectrum Hospital, a major fire at the 100-unit Indian Village Condominiums when fire raged, and in a Multi-vehicle accident on U.S. 131 in Kent County caused by a severe white out during heavy snow that resulted in dozens of injuries.

Currently the three EMS Providers American Medical Response, Life EMS, and Rockford EMS have there own frequencies, as each are "Private Emergency Medical Service Providers" who have the ability to communicate between themselves using a med-com channel, but Police and Fire Agencies cannot communicate with EMS Personnel directly an scene.  Nor can EMS Communicate with Law enforcement or Fire.personnel on scene, accept through relaying message through three dispatch centers currently.
2012 West Michigan EMS Response to East Coast Hurricane Sandy
In 2013 the West MI Division of American Medical Response (AMR) received it's 1st Ambulance with the companies new paint scheme and light bar scheme.
Jessica Herringa is a 25-year-old female, 5 feet 1 inch tall, weighing about 110 pounds, and has blonde, shoulder-length hair, blue eyes and wears wire-rimmed glasses. She may be wearing a blue-collared shirt that says Sternberg Exxon. She was abductucted from her Place of Work, the above sketch is the possible Suspect!  Please call the If you have a tip, please call Silent Observer at 231-72-CRIME (27463) or Norton Shores PD at 231-733-2691. if you know this man or the where abouts of Jessica.
                     Sadly as of SEPTEMBER 2014 Jessica remains missing